KOSHER RECIPES FOR GLUTEN-FREE LIVING



Sunday, December 17, 2006

Rice Flour Mix

A slight variation on the cake flour mix that I usually use, which I'll be referring to in some upcoming recipes. This gluten-free flour mix doesn't have xanthan or guar gum in the ingredients - Add the gums as necessary in baking recipes. Generally 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan or guar gum should be added for cakes and pastries, 1 teaspoon per cup for breads or pizza. Cookies can vary between no xanthan gum and 1/2 teaspoon per cup of flour.

RICE FLOUR MIX

3 cups white rice flour
3 cups brown rice flour
2 cups potato starch (not flour)
1 cup tapioca starch

Works well for most baked goods and other recipes. Not fine enough for use as a gravy thickener or for very delicate pastries. Has a fairly light consistency.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I've been enjoying your blog for a few weeks! I have a wheat sensistivity and one daughter has it as well as to rice and oats. She uses spelt flour a lot, so I wonder how that might work as a substitute for rice flours. With all the holiday baking, I'm kinda scratching my head with substitutes...

ByTheBay said...

Spelt flour has gluten in it, and is not safe for people with celiac disease or gluten intolerance, so I do not use that or recommend it in any of my recipes. I have no idea how it would taste - I think it's a pretty heavy grain so I'm not sure it would work. But you can give it a shot - Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just discovered your blog and I also have one, in french though, on which I post only gluten and lactose free recipes. I intend to read all yours, so I may find some new tricks for me. My husband is gluten intolerant and we are both lactose intolerant. I eat the same things he eats, except for the bread. This flourmix seems very useful, I will try it.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I really appreciate your recipe ideas and all that you send out to the world of dietary "refinement". I was wondering if you have any suggestions or knowledge of substitutes for potato and corn starches. I must avoid everything in the shade plant realm. Could I omit the potato starch from the flour mix??

Anonymous said...

I use arrowroot for a substitute for cornstarch or potato starch.

LINDS said...

I'm trying to limit my potato intake and be gluten free. All mixes seem to have potato starch. I've tried substituting other flours like quinoa when baking but haven't been successful. Is it essential?

ByTheBay said...

LINDS: I also limit my potato intake because I try to eat a lower-glycemic diet. However, ultimately the amount of potato starch that makes it into my baked goods versus whole grain flours is pretty low. You can try substituting half tapioca flour oand half corn starch or something like that - Tapioca flour is a good binder like potato starch, but using all tapioca flour I worry would make it too gummy. You could try all tapioca, though. You need to substitute a binding flour, not a flour like quinoa or rice which has no binding properties! You might also find that using ground flax seeds or extra xanthan gum would help with binding. Let me know if you find something that works for you!