KOSHER RECIPES FOR GLUTEN-FREE LIVING



Monday, November 06, 2006

The promise of persimmons.

hachiya persimmons
I bought two pounds of organic Hachiya persimmons yesterday at the Berkeley Farmer's Market. My plan is to make the Persimmon Pudding Cake Recipe that Elise posted last week, using a gluten free flour mix. I'm not usually a big fan of persimmons but something about that recipe just looks so amazing, and the boxes and boxes of brightly colored fruit at the market convinced me to give persimmons another try. If I have some left over I will make persimmon salsa or freeze them for use in smoothies.

3 comments:

shuna fish lydon said...

Freezing persimmons helps out with them as well-- if there are any spots where they are not ripe, the freezing actually eliminates the tannic-ness of these spots.

Find another gluten free option for persimmons here:

http://www.kqed.org/weblog/food/2005/11/persimmons-please.jsp

ByTheBay said...

Thank you - Those recipes look wonderful!

Mike Eberhart said...

I can not recall using a persimmon in any of my recipes... in fact, I can not remember the last time I even ate one. Sounds interesting. Hope your recipe goes well!