KOSHER RECIPES FOR GLUTEN-FREE LIVING



Friday, November 03, 2006

What do you like on your crackers?

mary's gone crackersI had terrible heartburn yesterday after stupidly eating some tasty nachos for lunch at the new Cocina Poblana location in Emeryville. My digestive tract is like "cheese AND sour cream AND salsa AND pickled jalapenos? You've got to be kidding!" So I barely ate a thing for the rest of the day, and certainly didn't cook. I had one little pumpkin muffin for dinner. That's why I have no recipes or food photographs for you today, but I promise I'll cook (and post) this weekend.

In the meantime, I want to tell you about my favorite crackers: The ridiculously named Mary's Gone Crackers. Guess what? There is no need to be eating those anemic little white rice crackers. They have little nutritional value and are made of refined grains and often have added sugar. Yeah, sure, they're tasty and they're widely available. But if you're tired of them, like I was, there are other options available. Healthier, crunchier options with wholesome ingredients like brown rice, black sesame seeds and flaxseed.

Did you notice those pretty crackers in the salad pictures I posted? The little toasty bits sprinkled on top of the green salad, and the pile of crackers next to the hummus? Those were the Original flavor of Mary's Gone Crackers. They are vegan and kosher. They cost a little more than white rice crackers, but they are far more filling and a box will last you longer.

One of the best things about Mary's Gone Crackers is that they work wonderfully as a gluten-free substitution for croutons. Crumble them into your salad and you'll see what I mean.

I eat my crackers with hummus or, when my tummy's not being sensitive, with slices of sharp cheddar cheese. What do you like to put on your crackers?

7 comments:

jocelyn said...

Sadly, Mary's Gone crackers all contain soy. Even if they didn't, they all contain flax, which tastes like dirty socks.

I'm glad you found something you like to eat. I just wish my HFS would stock something edible. ;)

(FWIW, the styrofoam-like GF breads often make *excellent* croutons.)

Unknown said...

Mary's Gone Crackers. Good one. At first, i was so unfo I thought the "gone" part meant, Mary's Crackers are "gone" of all tracers of gluten. I am so naive sometimes!

Anonymous said...

I love Mary's Gone Crackers, especially the Caraway variety.

Lynn Barry said...

I can't eat them but am glad you like them I just blogged about cheese and crackers today on my blog and thanks to you I made more cashew cheese and CAN have cheese and crackers now. Hope you feel better tomorrow. Take care.

Anonymous said...

wow, just found your blog and am over the MOON! Horray, and thank you, for posting all these wonderfuly gluten-free tidbits. MGC are one of our favorites around here. My son and I are gluten, dairy and corn free and we eat no artificials and limit phenols so anytime we can find some yummy ideas, we're happy (okay, I'm happy, he could live on rice cakes and Van's WF waffles). Going to add you to my bloglines...

Anonymous said...

Love your recipes! Keep up the posts. Sincerely, The Food Doc, Dr. Scot Lewey www.theFoodDoc.com and at new blog http://thefooddoc.blogspot.com

Shannon said...

Sometimes I get a craving for sweet and salty at the same time. A few crackers, peanut butter, and some preserves...YUM! It settles the craving and gives me a protein boost at the same time.

I also have a severe addiction to cheese. It is bad!