KOSHER RECIPES FOR GLUTEN-FREE LIVING



Thursday, November 02, 2006

Pumpkin Muffins

gluten-free pumpkin muffinsLet it go on the record that I am not a big fan of pumpkin. I am one of those freaks who doesn't even like pumpkin pie. Until last year the only way I enjoyed everyone's favorite fall vegetable was in Thai curries. Then I tried making pumpkin bread, and the result was a moist, spicy cake that tasted nothing like pumpkin but quite a lot like heaven. At that moment, I was converted from an unbashed pumpkin hater to an ambivalent, tentative pumpkin eater. In honor of the season, and as an experiment in preparation for Thanksgiving (which will be my first opportunity to wow my family with my gluten-free creations), I made some GFCF (gluten-free, casein-free) pumpkin muffins the other day. This recipe is designed with holiday feasts in mind, as it makes a big batch of two-dozen muffins. I warmed them in the toaster this morning for breakfast and before I knew it I had eaten three!

Pumpkin Muffins

2 1/2 cups of my Gluten-Free Flour Mix
3/4 cup coconut flour
2 cups pumpkin puree, or one 15 ounce can (unseasoned)
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup sugar (I prefer Sucanat)
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup water or milk
2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice mix
4 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 F. Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk wet ingredients together in a separate bowl, then fold into dry mixture. Whisk all ingredients until combined and smooth.

Place muffin liners into two 12-muffin pans, and spray the insides of the papers with baking spray. Distribute batter evenly between muffin liners (approximately 1/4 cup each). Bake for 20-25 minutes.

Makes 24 muffins.

11 comments:

Gili Warsett said...

wow, this looks hecka good. i don't know if i can look at your blog all the time because it makes me want to eat non-stop.

Flamenco Mom said...

Thanks for visiting my blog today. And thanks for posting that yummy looking recipe. I added your blog to my links--I look forward to reading more of your blog.

Mike Eberhart said...

Isn't this just a wonderful time of year to make all these delightful pumpkin recipes! I love pumpkin - pies, muffins, roll, bread; especially with lots of cinnamon and other pumpkin-pie type spices (nutmeg, cloves, etc.)

Shawn said...

I made these for my family a few weeks ago, and they were some of the best muffins we've ever eaten. I'm making them again today and will probably try them with a little less oil or maybe some zucchini puree instead this time. Thanks so much for the recipe! And my gluten-free son thanks you too!

Suzy said...

These really made our day today! When baking something GF/DF turns out this wonderful, all seems right with the world again ;0))

Anonymous said...

nice post..ived been looking for news and articles about diabetes and
sugar free recipes as well and this one is perfect! thanks for sharing
this one out...

Laura said...

Thanks for the recipe! I am allergic to coconuts unfortunately and was wondering what might be a good substitute for the coconut flour.

Unknown said...

Has anyone tried it without egg? Let me know what you tried and how it turned out. I use EnerG egg replacer but still really miss the egg!

Anonymous said...

Made these this afternoon. Subbed honey for maple syrup, and apple pie spice for pumpkin. Upped the spice by 1T of cinnamon, and 1T dried lemon zest, cuz we like it spicy. They turned out perfectly! Moist and flavourful. YUM!

Anonymous said...

You can always substitute Almond Flour for a low carb alternative to coconut or go with standard Gluten Free All purpose + Sorghum Flour if you have allergies

ByTheBay said...

Anonymous: Unfortunately, almond and regular GF flour blends are not 1:1 substitutions for coconut flour. Coconut flour has a very different rate of liquid absorption.