KOSHER RECIPES FOR GLUTEN-FREE LIVING



Thursday, November 30, 2006

Who am I?

Perhaps you have been wondering who I am. Or perhaps not.

Either way, allow me to introduce myself. Over there on the right hand is a slimmer, tight-pants-wearing cartoon version of me. If you don't recognize me on the street, I forgive you.

Here are some factoids:

  • I'm originally from New York. I worry sometimes that if I moved back there I'd have to change the name of my blog. Oh no!

  • My dad taught me how to cook. He did all the cooking in our house when I was growing up.

  • My favorite foods are mostly Ashkenazi Jewish, Ethiopian and Indian. I also have a big, big love for sushi.

  • I love to garden, and to grow my own herbs and vegetables. I live in a lovely little cottage. My porch is overflowing with potted plants, which makes me very happy.

  • All of my recipes are kosher, if you make them with kosher ingredients. You won't find recipes here that call for pork products, shellfish, etc - And none of my dishes mix dairy and meat together in the same recipe.

  • I worked in the food industry (catering and restaurant) for a number of years. I currently work as an office drone.

  • My plans for this blog include reworking more Jewish favorites and Ethiopian dishes, creating pierogies that taste like the real thing, and exploring the fascinating chemistry experiment that is gluten-free breadmaking.

  • I've been cooking way more regularly since I started this blog and have hardly been eating out at all. If you are looking for an incentive to eat at home, I recommend food blogging!

Any questions?

18 comments:

the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

We've got a bay here too.You can keep your name!

Shauna said...

Keep your name and move wherever you want!

I'm so glad to see you, or at least a cartoon version of you. why not a photo?

ByTheBay said...

Thanks, Shauna. And good question! I guess I like keeping a little shred of anonymity on the 'net. It feels safe, I suppose. I use my real name when I e-mail with folks, though - Such as people I've met through this blog - I'm not that secretive. And maybe one day soon I will post a real photo!

Anonymous said...

Hello! I'm glad you posted this, because I felt silly leaving a off-topic note on a recipe. I've been following your blog through the LiveJournal feed, and I'm very appreciative!

I have some sort of wheat allergy (not gluten it seems, since I can get away with spelt, but if I eat wheat suddenly I get a blinding headache) and also I'm lactose intolerant. So your wonderful blog has been helping me out so much!

Oh -- and I'm in SF, so when you mention stores, that's really great!

Thank you for this blog, and much encrouagement to keep it up -- no matter where you end up!

Anonymous said...

This is such a lovely blog! Nice to meet you! I'll post a link to this on my blogroll.

Mike Eberhart said...

Nice cartoon rendition.
I have not a single guess who you are though. But, your blog entertains me nonetheless.

Gili Warsett said...

hi darling, who did the cartoon? did you draw it? xo, g

Unknown said...

Nice intro - way to go. Love the pic, btw.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Just wanted to say thanks for letting me know about your blog from your note on Jewish-food@yahoogroups.
Yesterday on Oprah radio, XM 156, I was listening to Dr. Oz talk to an author about his new book on Gluten free living. Lots of interesting things re the relationship of Celiac disease and colitis, etc. Maybe you could get a webcast. I know they repeat the programs as well.

ByTheBay said...

Gili - It was made automatically with http://avatars.yahoo.com - You choose the hairdo, the clothing, etc. And I chose the "plus size" model... Which is kind of hilarious when you see how skinny it is.

Poet - Isn't it a deadringer for me? Haha.

Allergic Girl® said...

i like the cartoon with the menorah in the background--and boy do i envy you a "cottage" with an overflowing porch. lovely image!

Anonymous said...

i can totally relate to your 'about me' items lol :D esp. at cooking more :) now if i can only get people to stop searching my blog for pork! lol

you have an LJ feed? :) i'm on there as Tuluum :) i'll look you up!

ByTheBay said...

TriniGourmet:

Yep, the LJ feed is here:

http://syndicated.livejournal.com/glutenfreebay/profile

(if that doesn't come out right, just do a search for glutenfreebay)

Vanessa said...

Jewish AND Ethiopian - what an exciting pair! Can't wait to explore... love the concept.

ByTheBay said...

Vanessa - There are actually a lot of Ethiopian Jews, most of whom live in Israel...

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm a reporter interested in writing an article about celiac/GFD and am interested in speaking with you. Please email me if you're interested. And please delete this post. kathleen.richards@eastbayexpress.com Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I thought I was the only vegetarian celiac in the world and I live in the Bay Area too. Have you found an Ethiopian restaurant locally that serves all-teff injera? I miss Ethiopian food a lot.

ByTheBay said...

Hi anonymous - I'm not entirely vegetarian but Gluten-Free Goddess is! No, there are no restaurants that serve all-teff injera in the Bay Area. The only place in the country that I've heard of is a place in NY which will make it for you if you ask several days in advance. You generally need to have a flour besides teff added to injera unless you're at a very high altitude such as in Ethiopia. I am going to try making my own using some sorghum and rice flour with the teff. Welcome!