KOSHER RECIPES FOR GLUTEN-FREE LIVING



Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Gluten-Free Stuffing With Dried Fruit


Here's my dad's recipe for stuffing, adapted to be kosher and gluten-free. I suppose it is technically "dressing" but we've never called it that. Thinly sliced, white gluten-free bread that's on the dry side work best. Ener-G brand tapioca loaf is good for this recipe (you couldn't pay me to use it for anything else, but believe it or not it's perfect for this) or any store bought "white" gluten-free bread. You can use home-baked bread but it's best if it's on the dry side. Each time I've made this it was totally delicious and just like I remembered it from my childhood. You can play around with increasing the oil and cider for a moister stuffing, too. The chicken or turkey drippings also definitely help, in my decidedly non-vegetarian opinion.

STUFFING WITH DRIED FRUIT

6 slices gluten-free bread
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup apple cider
1/2 cup pitted prunes, chopped
1/2 cup dried apricots
1/2 cup margarine
1 stalk celery, sliced lengthwise and then chopped
1/2 medium onion, chopped finely
1 tablespoon Bell's seasoning (or other poultry seasoning)
Salt and pepper to taste
2-3 tablespoons poultry drippings or chicken fat (optional)

Cut bread in 3/4" cubes at 350 F until dry and crisp.

Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high flame. Add onion and sautee until it begins to brown. Add celery and cook until it softens slightly. Remove from heat. In a large casserole dish, mix cooked celery and onion with salt, pepper, and Bell's seasoning.

Combine dried fruit, margarine and apple cider in a microwave-proof bowl or small saucepan. Microwave or heat over medium flame until margarine melts. Add to the celery and onion mixture. Add bread cubes and poultry drippings. Cover and bake for 1/2 hour at 350 F. Remove cover and continue baking until brown (maybe be heated briefly under broiler prior to serving).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did you verify that Bell's seasoning is GF?

Anonymous said...

"A bread that's on the dry side"--soooo, basically any gluten-free bread, right? ;)

I'm going to make this recipe this week to go with my veggie plate. :)

ByTheBay said...

Anonymous: I e-mailed Bell's. The ingredients are all GF. There are gluten-containing products processed in the same plant but not on the same equipment.

Sally: Yes, sadly, just about every storebought GF bread would qualify. Of course homemade GF bread is a totally different story - Dunno if you've tried my Multigrain Miracle Bread, but dry is one thing it's never been called. I don't use that for this recipe though - i go straight for the worst bread of all, Ener-G brown rice bread. I may try making this with a less dry bread one of these days just to see how it turns out, though.

Anonymous said...

Sadly, I cannot eat eggs, but I do intend to try your recipe this month with an egg sub to see what happens!