KOSHER RECIPES FOR GLUTEN-FREE LIVING



Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Roasted Butternut Squash With Sage

roasted butternut squash with sage
A simple combination of sweet and savory fall flavors, adapted from a recipe in the September 2002 issue of O, The Oprah Magazine.

Roasted Butternut Squash With Sage

1 medium butternut squash (about 2 pounds)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Preheat oven to 350 F. Peel squash, cut off stem and 1/2 inch of bottom end. Cut squash in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds and pulp. Place flat side down on a cutting board and slice into 1/2 inch pieces.

Mix sage, olive oil, garlic powder, pepper and salt in a bowl and toss squash pieces in the mixture until they are evenly coated.

Place squash pieces in a single layer on a large baking pan or dish. Roast squash for 35-40 minutes or until tender and caramelized, flipping pieces half way through cooking.

Serve hot, garnished with a sprig of fresh or fried sage.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I subscribed to your feed, so now I can see all updates in Google reader! I love it!

And I love butternut squash. Sage is really the only herb worthy of squash, and the two together are like magic. My butternut Squash soup is twice cooked (first, heated in a pan to really get the flavors going, then roasted for 45 minutes), with sage, S&P, butter, and balsamic vinegar - and that's it!

Last night at TASTE in North Berkeley the family ate butternut squash risotto with sage two ways. It was garnished with the most delicious crispified and salted sage leaf I've ever eaten. Except for the last time I ate the crispified sage leaf there...

ByTheBay said...

I heart Google Reader. I must be subscribed to like 150 different blogs. One day soon I'll post some of my favorites.

What and where is TASTE? Butternut squash risotto sounds amazing. I've also heard of butternut squash kugel, which is something I will have to try soon.

Tami said...

That looks (and sounds) excellent! And 'tis the season for butternut too. I'm going to have to try this.