KOSHER RECIPES FOR GLUTEN-FREE LIVING



Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Mission Possible: Gluten-Free Fried Mozzarella Sticks


Though I'm usually content to eat healthy foods like brown rice, fish and vegetables - There are times when I miss comfort foods terribly. Like many people, my comfort foods are usually breaded, fried, high-carb, cheesy and/or made of potatoes. Fried mozzarella sticks dipped in hot marinara sauce fall into this category. At the time I became strictly gluten-free, I hadn't eaten them for at least 2-3 years. They haven't been a regular part of my diet since I was a teenager. Yet somehow the idea that I could never eat them again made me crave them more than ever.

Last night I decided it was time to tackle a mission I'd had for months - Making gluten-free mozzarella sticks from scratch. I fried up a whole pound of cheese, popped a couple of Lactaids and went to town. I got through just four of them before I decided to be kind to my stomach and switch to a salad. I froze the rest and will reheat them in the toaster oven when I need a cheese fix.

Be sure to use a flour with a very fine consistency (one that doesn't contain almond meal, corn meal, or other gritty flours). My Rice Flour Mix works perfectly. For bread crumbs, I used Ener-G's Fine Bread Crumbs - One of the few Ener-G products I like. You might also try the bread crumbs from Gillian's Foods or El Peto if you don't keep kosher, or make your own at home. This is definitely a job for fine, dry breadcrumbs rather than fresh ones. If you can get your hands on gluten-free Italian flavored bread crumbs, then eliminate all of the herbs and spices that the recipe calls for.

Oh, the cheesy deliciousness!

FRIED MOZZARELLA STICKS

1/4 cup gluten-free flour mix (such as my Rice Flour Mix)
2 cups dry gluten-free breadcrumbs (plain/unflavored)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 eggs
2 tablespoons milk
1 lb whole milk mozzarella cheese, cut into 3/4 inch x 3/4 inch strips (or 1 lb of string cheese, with each stick cut in half)
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup jarred marinara sauce

Heat the oil in a pan. In a small pot, heat up the marinara sauce (or use microwave).

Whisk eggs and milk together in a bowl or pie tin. In a second pie bowl or pie tin, combine bread crumbs with all of the herbs and spices. Place flour in a third bowl or pie tin.

Coat each piece of cheese with flour. Dip in egg and roll in bread crumbs.

Dip in egg and bread crumbs a second time, making sure that the entire piece of cheese is coated in crumbs.

Carefully place each cheese stick in the hot oil and cook until golden, about a minute on each side. Place on paper towels to absorb excess oil. Serve hot.


12 comments:

ML said...

Oh bless you for finding a recipe for gluten mozarella sticks! They look wonderful!

Sea said...

Have I mentioned how cool you are? I have never had cheese sticks like this in my life- will have to try them! :D

Gili Warsett said...

you've outdone yourself. ridiculously yummy looking.

Unknown said...

OMG that's so hilarious! It looks so good I want to eat it now!

Mike Eberhart said...

Those sound wonderful! I haven't had a fried mozzarella stick in ages.

Anonymous said...

YUMMM! You have me craving mozzarella sticks like crazy. Sometimes something deep fried and gooey is the only thing that works.

ByTheBay said...

ML - Let me know how you like them if you try them out.

Sea - Aw, shucks, thanks. They are so freakin' tasty. Kind of addictive, actually, when you dip them in marinara.

Gili - Check your e-mail

Sher & Poet - Thankyouthankyou

Mike - I know, they're one of many foods I hadn't even attempted replicating for fear of being disappointed!

Kitarra - Amen! Oh just thinking about fried gooey cheese sticks has me wishing I was at home so I could heat up the last batch that are in my freezer...

Anonymous said...

WOW, these look amazing.

Anonymous said...

I'm sitting at work looking at this wonderful looking food counting the hours I can go hme and try them. I haven't had mozzarella sticks in years. Thank you for posting

Anonymous said...

I just tried to make these and my wife who is currently pregnant and hates most gluten free absolutely loves them. Thanks

Kara @ Unusual Form said...

I made these today and they were sooo good. I haven't had mozzarella sticks in 3 years. My husband, who is not gluten-free, also ate them. He thought they were the best he had eaten, better than Pizza Hut. His words, not mine. Thanks for the recipe.

Anonymous said...

These were delicious! I used a block of mozzarella cheese and coated it in cream cheese before I dipped it in the flour- it added an extra googy goodness to it!
Thank you for sharing this recipe and using normal ingredients that people actually have around! =)