KOSHER RECIPES FOR GLUTEN-FREE LIVING



Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Maple Butternut Squash Puree


I fretted over the air bubbles that were visible in this photo at the bottom of the bowl until my Official Photography Consultant, M of Poet With A Day Job, pointed out that the bubbles just highlight the fact that this puree was photographed while it was still steaming hot. Phew!

I've discovered that I can eat cow's milk only every 4 days or so. Oddly enough, those fried mozzarella sticks hardly bothered my stomach... yet when I baked something using butter the following day, I got sick as a dog. I need to be more careful not to overload my frustratingly fragile GI system. On that note, I made a delicious dish last night that was buttery and decadent without making me sick. The key? Ghee, that fabulous Indian incarnation of clarified butter that seems to concentrate the dreamy butter flavor while removing the lactose and casein.

There is something about butternut squash that is so alluring this time of year - The vivid color reminds me of the marigolds I love to grow. Here in my Northern California garden last year's marigolds have finally died and this year's marigolds are beginning to sprout.

The taste and texture of butternut squash are so versatile - Cut in large pieces and roasted, mashed as a side dish, pureed for the filling for a tart or ravioli, combined with vegetable stock for a rich and creamy soup. Always delicious. The spicy main dish I made this time around called out for a sweet and lightly spiced side with a creamy texture. Butternut squash puree to the rescue!

Two tablespoons of maple syrup provides plenty of sweetness, but if you want stronger maple flavor you can certainly add more.

MAPLE BUTTERNUT SQUASH PUREE (Lactose-Free, Casein-Free)

1 medium butternut squash
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons ghee or clarified butter
2-3 tablespoons maple syrup
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
3 tablespoons rice milk or soy milk or almond milk

Peel squash, cut in half lengthwise, and remove seeds. Cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes and steam until tender. Place steamed butternut squash cubes and all other ingredients in a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. Serve hot or warm.

1 comment:

Lynn Barry said...

I too only use ghee. I will definitely make this recipe. I love squash, maple anything AND ghee.
Thanks!