KOSHER RECIPES FOR GLUTEN-FREE LIVING



Monday, September 10, 2007

Gluten-Free Rosh Hashanah Recipe Roundup 2007

In the spirit of my Gluten-Free Passover Roundup 2007, I thought I'd put together a Rosh Hashanah version. Rosh Hashanah doesn't have any of the food restrictions of Passover, so this holiday doesn't leave most of us in the same kind of panic over finding gluten-free foods to eat. Yet menu planning is always a challenge, especially when cooking for guests, as many of us do this time of year. I hope this will help a bit. Here are some ideas, from my blog and other websites, of foods for your holiday table. You'll notice an emphasis on sweet foods, leeks, carrots, honey, round-shaped foods, etc. Here is an article about Rosh Hashanah food customs, if you're curious.


GLUTEN-FREE
ROSH HASHANAH RECIPES


Codes:

P = Parve (no dairy, no meat)
M = Meat (fleischig)
D = Dairy (milchig)
V = Vegan (no meat, fish, eggs or dairy)
VG = Vegetarian dishes containing dairy or eggs

SNACKS & HORS D'OEUVRES
Sugar & Spice Pecans (P, VG)
Vegetarian Chopped Liver (P, V)
Fig & Pomegranate Tapenade (P, V)

SOUPS & APPETIZERS
Isaiah's Victorious Vegetable Stock (P/D, V/VG)
Sephardic Leek Soup (M)
Hot Beet Borscht (P, V)
Butternut Squash Soup (P, V)
Potato Kneidlach (P, VG)
Gluten-Free Mock Matzo Balls (P, VG)
Beat, Bean and Apple Salad (P, V)
Roasted Butternut Squash, Marcona Almond & Pomegranate Salad (P/D, V/VG)

MAIN DISHES
Beef Tzimmes with Butternut Squash (M)
Apple-Glazed BBQ Chicken (M)
Whole Fish Emeril-Style (P)
Gluten-Free Blintzes (D/P, VG)
Chicken with Pomegranate Glaze & Fresh Mint (M)
Prassokoftedes (Potato-Leek Fritters) (P, VG)
Gluten-Free Knishes (D, VG)
Southwestern Tsimmes Stuffed in Chiles (P, V with Honey)
Leg of Lamb with Pomegranate (M)
Tzimmes (P, V with honey)
Herb-Stuffed Trout with Vegetable Kabobs (P)
Rolled Cabbage (M)
Poached Fish with Pomegranate Sauce (P)
Chicken with Fresh Figs (M)
Sweet Brisket (M)
Parsnip & Carrot Confetti Latkes (P, VG)
Roasted Squash with Potatoes (D, VG)
Pomegranate Tofu (P, V)
Jewish Grandma's Best Beef Brisket (M)

SIDE DISHES
Noodle Kugel (P, V with honey, dairy option)
Winter Squash with Caramelized Onions (P, V)
Fried Leeks with Tarragon Vinegar (P, VG)
Carrot Leek and Apple Bake (D, VG)
Honeyed Nahit (Chickpeas) (M)
Pomegranate Glazed Green Beans & Portobellos
Sephardic Black Eyed Peas (P, V)
Sweet Potato and Spiced Apple Casserole (D, VG)
Holy Carrots (D, VG)
Algerian Green Beans with Almonds (P, V)
Gluten-Free Kasha Varnishkes (M)
Carrot Souffle (P, VG)
Caramelized Butternut Squash (D, VG)
Lacy Potato Kugel (P, VG)
Zucchini with Currants and Almonds (P, V)

BREAD
Gluten-Free Challah I (D, VG)
Gluten-Free Challah II (D, VG)
Rosemary and Olive Sweet Potato Bread (P, VG)

DESSERT
Gluten-Free Honey Cake (Version 2.0)(P)
Gluten-Free Honey Cake (Version 1.0)
(D)
Honey & Ginger Cake (D, VG)
Baked Apples (D, VG)
Fig-Bar Cookies (D, VG)
Fruit Compote (P, V)
Bosc Pears with Pomegranate Glaze (P, V)
Pomegranate Tapioca (P, V)
Spiced Dates with Mascarpone Cheese (D, VG)
Pumpkin Creme Brulee (D, VG),
Candy Apples (P, V)
Apple Crisp (D, VG)

BEVERAGES
Mulled Fall Fruit Cider (P, V)
Pomegranate Martini (P, V)
Tej (Ethiopian Honey Wine) (P, V with honey)


L'Shanah Tovah Tikatevu!

[Apples & honey image is from imgmag]

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

The gluten-free blintzes link does not work...thanks!

ByTheBay said...

Thanks for letting me know - It's fixed now.

Anonymous said...

Where is the honey/sweet version of the kugel? I am craving a noodle dish.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the list - these look great!

ByTheBay said...

Anonymous: For a sweet kugel, you can just follow any sweet noodle kugel recipe, replacing gluten-free noodles for regular noodles. You can find a few recipes here.

Ginger Carter Miller said...

I love your recipes! May I share my recipe for GF Unstuffed Cabbage? It is on my blog, gfingf.blogspot.com

P.S. May I link your blog to mine?

Ginger
Gluten Free in Georgia and Florida

GFCF Mommy said...

This is fabulous! I am not even Jewish, but I am drooling over these gorgeous recipes. I am GFCF and had a friend ask me for a GF challah recipe, I came here to look and found so much more!

Happy New Year to you and yours!

Katherine

Mary Frances said...

What a great list! I can't wait to explore further. I've never had many of these dishes but I look forward to trying them.

Mary Frances

Anonymous said...

Hey! shanah tovah! We went to Netivot Shalom again!

Wa-nde-rren said...

I thought I'd post a comment, because I just started a blog:
http://allergicnotpicky.blogspot.com/

and in this blog, I make adaptations of your recipes. You can see how well they turned out, even when adapted for some heftier allergies. :-) I posted pictures!

let me know if it's a problem that I link to your blog from mine.

Crave said...

This list is great! I have a couple friends who keep kosher (they will eat non-kosher, but vegetarian when out), so this will give me some ideas. I'm not vegetarian, so sometimes need help getting creative, and you have some yummy looking recipes. And the desserts look fabulous!

Anonymous said...

This is an amazing list! I'm looking forward to going over it in detail and discovering some new favorites - thanks for posting it : )

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for collecting this wonderful list. The link to the apple crisp recipe seems to be broken? B

Torin said...

Hello! the online recipe id good recipe for child halt. it have no sugar and gas. it is a hasty full recipe.
==================
Online Recipes

bondage sex said...

Very interesting! I have no expert, but I want have to know more and more, on your blog just interesting and useful information.