KOSHER RECIPES FOR GLUTEN-FREE LIVING



Sunday, September 09, 2007

Carol's Flour Blend

I was sent a copy of Gluten-Free Quick and Easy by Carol Fenster a few months ago. I will post a review of the book one of these days. In the meantime, I wanted to post my very slight modifications to Carol's Flour Blend, to use as a future reference. It's not so different from my own mixes. This is a basic multi-purpose gluten-free flour blend, though it can't be used cup-for-cup in most baking recipes without adding guar gum or xanthan gum. Carol Fenster uses it as the base for many of her recipes. I used it with great success in a recipe I'm about to post in a few minutes, so I'm creating a separate post for it so I can link back to it whenever I post recipes based on this mix. Carol recommends cornstarch as a substitute for potato starch, but I personally try to avoid using refined corn products as much as possible. She recommends sorghum flour, which I love, but brown rice flour would work just fine, in my experience. So far I have had luck using this mix as a base for a yeast pizza dough, and for a cake.

CAROL'S FLOUR BLEND (MODIFIED)


1 1/2 cups sorghum flour or brown rice flour
1 1/2 cups potato starch
1 cup tapioca flour

Mix ingredients in ziploc storage bag, and store in refrigerator.

No comments: