KOSHER RECIPES FOR GLUTEN-FREE LIVING



Thursday, February 22, 2007

Lemon-Dijon Roasted Brussels Sprouts


For those of you who are fans of my Roasted Brussels Sprouts, here's a zesty twist on the same simple dish. If you haven't yet tried the original recipe, either one of these recipes just might make you a brussels sprout fan even if you're a sworn hater. The possibilities are endless when it comes to these itty bitty cabbage babies... Take a look at my friend Seamaiden's Caramelized Maple Brussels Sprouts - A tasty option for those who prefer their sprouts sweet.

My lemon-dijon brussels sprouts are made with fresh lemon juice - I much prefer them made with Meyer lemons but if you can't get them a regular lemon will certainly do. Beware, these peppery sprouts are addictive.

LEMON-DIJON ROASTED BRUSSELS SPROUTS

1 lb fresh Brussels sprouts
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
Juice of 1 lemon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut less than 1/4" off of the bottom of each brussel sprout and then slice sprout in half lengthwise. Combine all other ingredients in a bowl. Then toss brussels sprouts with sauce in a baking dish - Spread sprouts in a single layer. Roast for 25 minutes or until brussel sprouts are slightly browned and tender throughout. Serve hot or at room temperature.

13 comments:

Sea said...

Aww, aren't you sweet, including my sprouts too!

Lemons seem to keep popping up lately... hmmm... ;) I have to admit a certain inferiority complex re: lemons as mine are just the boring ones bought at the store....

But, inferior lemons aside, you can bet I'll be trying this recipe the next time I have some brussel sprouts to play with!

ByTheBay said...

The only reason I have Meyer lemons is my uncle - He gave me so many I had to find creative ways to use them up! They picked them because of the big freeze that destroyed most of the state's citrus. I lucked out. I never purchase Meyer lemons - I normally buy the regular ones in a big sack at Trader Joe's, and that's good enough for me ;-P

Sea said...

I know those Trader Joe lemons well! There are all kinds of citrus trees in the neighborhood around our neighborhood- I am jealous of them every day. Bet you'll miss this kinda stuff in NY... Well, ok, not really, but gotta try and convince you to stick around somehow... um...um... won't you miss the fog? And Berkeley? What's not to love about Berkeley? *sigh* I sense this is a losing battle. I read the Celiac Chicks too.. Injera, OMG, the Injera. I would move for that alone. (almost). Throw in Risotteria, and, well... Who can blame you. *heavy sigh*

-B ;)

Lynn Barry said...

I always boil them or steam them but next time...ROASTED...Thanks!

Unknown said...

I love browning the burssels - your recipe looks great. I can't get L to eat them though. She hates them. I try even calling them "baby cabbages" but even then: the nose turns up!

Nicole Civita said...

I never thought I'd use the word divine to describe brussels sprouts, but at the moment nothing else will do. I roasted a pound last night & single handedly devoured them in under 12 hours. Consider me a convert!

ByTheBay said...

Nicole - Yay! Thanks for letting me know. So glad you enjoyed them. Here's a question: Did you use the recipe I posted originally or the revision? Because initially I forgot to include the dijon, and then I changed it and added the dijon in ;-P

Nicole Civita said...

The ones I made were thoroughly mustard-y & pucker-y. The mustard I had on hand is calls itself "Moutarde a L'Ancienne." I believe it is the whole-grain cousin of dijon, packed with intact mustard seeds. It is very visually & texturally appealing.

And thanks for visiting my nascent blog. I hope to add lots more soon...

Dianne said...

These look divine! I'm always looking for ways to jazz up veggies and this looks to be a real winner!

:)

Anonymous said...

Looks good (if you like brussel sprouts, which I actually do).

It is worth checking the ingredients of the mustard - some brands have wheat in them!

ByTheBay said...

Wheat-Free: I've yet to see one with wheat in it. I've seen mustards with grain-based alcohols in them, but it is well known now that there is no gluten remaining in distilled alcohols. I'm interested in what kind of wheat product you've heard or seen being used in mustard?

Anonymous said...

I can't remember a specific product just now - I always check ingredients, and I sure I have seen mustard with wheat in it.

Powdered mustard that you prepare yourself may also have wheat in it.

I'll keep an eye out next time I go shopping and make a note of it!

ByTheBay said...

Many dried spices are occasionally cut with flour so that would make sense about some brands of mustard powder. Maybe flour is also used as a thickener in some cheaper mustards? I always check ingredients, and all the ones I've looked at have been fine - But I'll remember not to get lazy with looking at labels! Thanks for your feedback.