KOSHER RECIPES FOR GLUTEN-FREE LIVING



Friday, February 02, 2007

Gluten-Free Italian Breadcrumbs

I've been saving the ends of all my loaves of gluten-free bread in a ziploc bag in the freezer, and adding to the stash any remaining slices of loaves of bread that become stale as well as storebought bread I brought home only to find inedible. When I had enough saved up, I finally got to put them to use. These breadcrumbs are wonderful for breading meat or vegetables, stuffing mushrooms, topping casseroles and more. Leave the spices out for "neutral" crumbs that can be used in any recipe - Or follow my instructions for flavorful Italian breadcrumbs that are perfect in most Mediterranean and American recipes.

ITALIAN GLUTEN-FREE BREADCRUMBS

12 slices gluten-free bread (stale bread and ends are good)
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoons dried basil

For fresh breadcrumbs:

Lay bread slices in a single layer on a baking sheet. Place in oven on 200 F for 10-15 minutes or until the edges have become a little hard and the bread has become dry to the touch but it has not become thoroughly toasted. Pulse in food processor until it reaches desired texture (crumbs should be distinct but not too large). Combine ingredients in a bowl.

For dry breadcrumbs:

Cube bread slices and lay in a single layer on a baking sheet. Place in a 325 F oven and bake until lightly browned, crisp, and very dry. Allow to cool. Blend in the food processor until it has a fine texture not much coarser than sand. Combine all ingredients in a bowl.

Bread crumbs can be stored in an airtight container or ziploc bag in the refrigerator for about a week for fresh breadcrumbs or 2-3 weeks for dry breadcrumbs. They can be stored in the freezer for up to 6 months.

5 comments:

I Am Gluten Free said...

Great idea! Only challenge is to put the leftover bread in the freezer before it gets moldy:). Also, for quick breadcrumbs when you don't have any bread in the freezer - toast Van's GF waffles, put them in a food processor and use as breadcrumbs. Got that idea from Karina (gluten free goddess). Also makes great sandwich bread.

Happy Homemaker said...

I've read this post several times and now I'm yearning for baked mac and cheese topped with Italian bread crumbs. Thanks!

Sheri said...

I have (gasp) 7 nasty loaves of bread I bought and grossed out over. The only purchased bread I like at all, even a bit, is the prairie bread from Whole in your Wallet Foods.

I plan to do the breadcrumb thing with all that yucko bread.

ByTheBay said...

Enjoy, everybody... Let me know how the recipe works in your recipes.

Gloria said...

I Have a gluten free bread crumb recipe that calls for yeast. I know that sounds odd but it really does plump it all up. Here is the link to my blog http://troysnewstart.blogspot.com/2012/04/how-to-make-delicious-italian-seasoned.html