KOSHER RECIPES FOR GLUTEN-FREE LIVING



Sunday, October 22, 2006

Soup 911: Cashew Sour Cream to the Rescue

dairy-free vegan cashew sour-creamPROBLEM: I overcooked the green curry I was preparing (coconut milk, vegetable broth, ginger, onions, green curry paste, hot chili peppers, summer squash, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, basil, cilantro). The vegetables were unbearably mushy.

SOLUTION: I ran it through the food processor to transform it into a creamy soup.

PROBLEM: The soup was way too spicy.

SOLUTION: Sour cream. Even though sour cream and Thai green curry are an unusual pairing, sour cream is always the first thing I think of to turn down the heat when I go overboard with chilis and I knew instinctively it would taste right with this soup.

PROBLEM: I'm trying to avoid both dairy and soy as much as possible to see if that helps my GI issues, so both dairy sour cream and Tofutti non-dairy sour cream were out of the question.

SOLUTION: Cashew sour cream, a soy-free, dairy-free (and vegan, and pareve) sour cream that tastes impressively similar to the "real thing" and did just the trick in toning down my fiery soup.

Cashew Sour Cream

1 cup raw cashews (must not be roasted or salted)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 to 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
Juice of one small lemon

Cover cashews with water and soak for a few hours, or overnight (you can get away with soaking them for just an hour if you're in a rush but you'll need to puree them longer). Pour off all water, and place nuts in food processor. Add 1/4 cup cold water, salt, vinegar and lemon juice. Puree for 3-4 minutes or until completely smooth and creamy in consistency. Use in any recipe that calls for sour cream.

10 comments:

Lynn Barry said...

Outstanding! thanks so much. I saw your comment on my blog but would like to direct you to the more recent recipe and entry about cashew cheese that I made (with pic of my granddaughter). I look forward to trying this...bring on the baked potato. I have missed sour cream.

Unknown said...

Yum: blender to the rescue. I plan to blend up some butternut squash soup this evening...I do a twice cooked on it: first quick fry in a pan with S&P, sage, and balsamic vinegar, then, roasted on 375 for an hour or so, depending how small I cut the pieces. Then, blender city!

Anonymous said...

Too bad I'm allergic to cashews! My husband would like it, though.

Lynn Barry said...

vegan knitting,
Might try cooked white rice instead of the cashews. I read a recipe for cashew cheese that says you can replace cooked white rice for the cashews.

Gaile said...

I've been wondering about the cashew creme thing ever since I received my millenium cafe cookbook. I'll give it a try now and see how it goes with some GF black bean enchiladas I saw at Karina's blog.

Lynn Barry said...

Me again...GO to my blog...I used your sourcream recipe in Mike's wife's bread recipe.
It is great and the way I make it is dairy free.
Thanks!

Mike Eberhart said...

Hey GlutenFreeBay, I have a question (sorry, unrelated to this post of yours) about your Blog. How do you get those labels implemented? Are you using the Blogger Beta or something? I would have emailed you, but didn't see an address on here anywhere. Thanks for info.

ByTheBay said...

Hi Mike - Yes, it's one of the available tools on Blogger Beta. If you'd like more help please feel free to e-mail me at kneidlach at gmail dot com

purple_kangaroo said...

That looks great . . . I wonder if it would work with just lemon juice and no vinegar, since we can't have white vinegar or apple cider vinegar here due to allergies. Or maybe cream of tartar? I guess I'll have to play with it a bit if I try it.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that looks just like sour cream!