KOSHER RECIPES FOR GLUTEN-FREE LIVING



Thursday, October 12, 2006

Coconut Pancakes

I found these so tasty that I didn't even bother putting syrup on them... Just ate them with my fingers straight off the griddle. Mmmm....

1 cup Pamela's Ultimate Baking & Pancake Mix* or other gluten-free pancake mix
1 Large Egg (or equivalent of liquid egg replacer)
3/4 cup light coconut milk
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut

Mix all ingredients together until batter has a smooth consistency with no lumps. Batter should not be too thin or too thick. Pour 1/4 cup batter at a time onto a pre-heated (medium heat), lightly oiled griddle or pan. Cook until golden brown, flipping once. Serve immediately. Yields six 4 inch pancakes. Extra pancakes can be frozen or refrigerated, and reheated on a griddle, in the oven, or in a toaster oven.



*Edited 3/09 to add: Pamela's baking mixes are under kosher supervision but are not certified by a mainstream kosher certifying agency, so most people who keep strictly kosher kitchens will want to use another gluten-free pancake mix such as Gluten-Free Pantry Brown Rice Pancake Mix. I no longer use Pamela's products in my house since I now have a more strictly kosher kitchen. If in doubt, check with your rabbi!

2 comments:

the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

This sounds very nice--I have grown very attached to coconut milk in baking. I still feel I ought to be cracking my own coconuts instead of opening a can, though. My resolution is to do this by next peysekh, my most coconut-dependent time of year.

Mike Eberhart said...

That sounds pretty tasty.
I have used fine-ground coconut in a few recipes, but I don't recall trying it in pancakes. Good idea.

I'm returning the favor of a link to your blog. Thanks for including a link to mine on your site.