KOSHER RECIPES FOR GLUTEN-FREE LIVING



Sunday, December 31, 2006

Lemon Ricotta-Almond Cake


This rich, lovely cake is inspired by Ilva's gluten-free Almond and Ricotta Cake. This cake is one of the most exciting things I've baked this year. I really loved how it turned out. I packed up slices of it to take with me on my trip this weekend and it satisfied my sweet tooth while the folks around me snacked on gluten-laden treats that looked just plain boring in comparison. Unlike many gluten-free cakes, this one will stay moist for days, even when eaten at room temperature. The delicate tastes of almond and lemon compliment each other beautifully. It is higher in protein and calcium than most baked goods, which is a great perk (though it obviously doesn't negate its sugary, buttery decadence). I use the Almond Meal/Flour from Bob's Red Mill, which can be bought at most health food stores or online. I recommend using Pamela's Ultimate Baking and Pancake Mix* like the recipe calls for, but you can use another gluten-free all-purpose flour mix as long as it contains xanthan or guar gum!

Happy New Year to all! Let's raise a slice of cake to a 2007 full of health, joy, and peace.

LEMON RICOTTA-ALMOND CAKE

3 eggs
1/2 cup almond meal or almond flour (finely ground)
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup Pamela's Ultimate Baking and Pancake Mix*
3/4 cup of sugar
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Whisk eggs and sugar. Add almond meal and butter, and stir well. Pulse ricotta in blender or mash by hand, and then add to batter. Stir thoroughly to combine before folding in Pamela's Baking and Pancake Mix. Lastly, add the lemon zest, lemon juice and lemon extract and mix the batter to blend. Grease 8" round cake pan. Pour batter into the cake pan, and bake for 30 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving warm. Dust with powdered sugar and/or garnish with fruit.


*Edited 3/09 to add: Pamela's baking mixes are under kosher supervision but are not certified by a mainstream kosher certifying agency, so most people who keep strictly kosher kitchens will want to use another gluten-free all-purpose flour mix. I no longer use Pamela's products in my house since I now have a more strictly kosher kitchen. If in doubt, check with your rabbi!

9 comments:

Ilva said...

Sounds divine!

Mike Eberhart said...

That looks rather good, and like it would have tons of moisture and flavor. I love lemon in my desserts, and cheese is always a good addition too. Great combo! Happy 2007!

Unknown said...

That looks really yummy! Can I have fries with that?

Sea said...

That looks really yummy! After using Rebecca Reilly's cookbook I'm getting increasingly into using almond meal in dessert recipes- and this sounds (and looks) like it turned out really well. :) Next time I need a light cake recipe I will definitely try it.

I Am Gluten Free said...

This looks fantastic - I can't wait to try it. Thanks for the recipe!

Kitty said...

I made this the other night it was wonderful very moist. I made two rounds and frosted with a lemon cream cheese frosting and the gluten kids and guest in the house are hardly leaving a crumb. I seen a recipe for a lemon coconut cake (gluten one) and this worked perfect :) Tasted Great ! Thanks

Lucy said...

Mmmm... do you think this would pair well (har har) with the cardamon pears? I want to make both! For the same dinner!

ByTheBay said...

Lucy - Ooh, that would be interesting. I would be more likely to pear the pairs, I mean pair the pears, with a blander white cake - This cake is very rich and flavorful on its own and would probably do best with strawberries or a raspberry coulis or something. But it might taste just lovely together - If you try, let me know how it turns out!

Peter said...

I just made this and am sitting here eating it warm. You have a real winner here. This is one of the best things, gluten or not, I've eaten in years. My non-gluten free wife also loved it and asked that I write the recipe down for her.

I thought lemon extract on top of lemon juice and zest would be too much but it was great.

I may cut the sugar down to 1/2 cup, but that's only because we don't have much of a sweet tooth.

It's a very easy recipe. I urge you other folk here to try it right away!

Thanks

Pete