KOSHER RECIPES FOR GLUTEN-FREE LIVING



Thursday, December 21, 2006

Celery Root and Potato Latkes

I hope you're not tired of latkes already, because I have one more recipe for you. Don't worry, Chanukah's almost over and I'll move on to less greasy foods. I promise.

This time, I combined the distinctive taste and wonderful crunch of celery root with the usual starchy Russet potatoes. I created this particular gluten-free latke recipe with the intent to freeze most of them, which is why it instructs you to make each latke into a well-packed patty to create a more cohesive pancake rather than loosely spreading the batter out to make a thin, lacy latke. I loved the flavor and the texture, and I ate a bunch of them for dinner, topped with applesauce. My freezer is now happily filled with many ziploc bags full of latkes.



CELERY ROOT AND POTATO LATKES

4 large Russet potatoes
1 large celery root (approximately .75 lbs)
1 1/2 large onions
2 cloves garlic
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup Pamela's Baking Mix* or other rice-based gluten-free flour mix
Olive oil for frying

Preheat oven to 200 degrees or "warm" setting.

Peel potatoes and submerge in cold water. Peel celery root with a paring knife. Pulse the onion and garlic in food processor. Mixture should be coarse, not completely pureed. Pour onion-garlic mixture into a large bowl. Grate the celery root using the larger grate of a box grater, or use the grater attachment of a food processor. Add to onion-garlic mixture and stir. Grate potatoes.

Quickly squeeze a handful of grated potatoes at a time over a second bowl (or the kitchen sink) to remove all liquid. Add the dry potatoes to the onions and celery root, mixing as you go. This step should be done as quickly as possible to prevent oxidation of the potatoes.

Heat 1/4 inch of olive oil in a large, heavy skillet (cast iron works best) over medium-high heat, until just below the smoking point.

Add remaining ingredients to the batter, and stir until fully combined. Place a small handful of batter (approximately 1/4 cup) in the hot oil at a time. Pat each handful into a 1/2" thick pancake shape before placing in oil - This will help each latke stay together. Fry until completely golden-brown on the bottom and crispy around the outside corners. Flip and brown on the second side.

Transfer latkes to a plate lined with paper towels or several layers of brown paper (I use grocery bags). Allow paper to absorb excess oil, then transfer latkes to a cooking rack placed over baking sheet in the preheated oven, where they will stay warm until ready to serve. Serve hot, with sour cream and applesauce.

Extra latkes can be frozen on a baking sheet in the freezer, with parchment paper or freezer paper between the layers. When frozen, transfer to ziploc bags. Reheat in oven at 400 degrees F.

Makes 6-8 servings.


*Edited 3/09 to add: Pamela's baking mixes are under kosher supervision but are not certified by a mainstream kosher certifying agency, so most people who keep strictly kosher kitchens will want to use another gluten-free all-purpose flour mix such as Arrowhead Mills Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour Mix. I no longer use Pamela's products in my house since I now have a more strictly kosher kitchen. If in doubt, check with your rabbi!

6 comments:

Mike Eberhart said...

It must be latke week on the recipe sites. I have seen quite a few recently, and they look really delicious. A week ago when I first saw some recipes, I wanted to make them, and now (having yet to get to them) I want them even more. Yum!

ByTheBay said...

Mike - Chanukah started last Friday night and ends this Friday night and latkes are a traditional Chanukah food, so... Yes, you could also call it latke week. LOL!

cookiecrumb said...

Latke week! :-)
I lu-u-urve celery root.
This sounds wonderful.

Gaile said...

wow, I've never had latkes, and all the recipes are definitely tempting, but this one, this is gonna be the one to bring latkes to the budgie household! celery root is my new bff, and i can't wait to try them. I wonder how they would go with the roasted brussels sprouts? :-)

ByTheBay said...

Celery root is one of my new BFF's too! I think these would taste great with the brussels sprouts. No better way to to celebrate Chanukah (or any day of the year, really) than by saturing ourselves with olive oil!

ByTheBay said...

(that was supposed to be "saturating")