KOSHER RECIPES FOR GLUTEN-FREE LIVING



Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Tropical Charoset


This is a delicious winter fruit salad recipe from Mirj, who is possibly the most prolific kosher cook on RecipeZaar. Some of you will remember the beef tzimmes I posted last week, which was based on a recipe of hers. Her recipes have yet to fail me - This fruit salad was no exception. It makes use of the fruits that are widely available in supermarkets this time of year, which is a good reminder for me that no matter how much I might be craving apples or strawberries, March just isn't the time to buy them. I have adapted the recipe slightly to suit my tastes and my dietary restrictions as well as to cut the amount in half, since I'm not feeding a family of 10 like Mirj is (yet)! I wrote her to let her know that this is the first time I have ever enjoyed figs, which is quite an achievement. I have put in parentheses my silly little nickname for this dish - I've been calling it "tropical charoset", because I believe it would make a wonderful charoset alternative for Passover.

WINTER FRUIT SALAD (TROPICAL CHAROSET)

6 navel oranges
2 seedless tangerines, clementines, or other small, seedless orange
2 large bananas
4 moist dried figs
1/2 cup raisins
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup sweet red wine or concord grape juice

Peel and segment 5 of the 6 naval oranges; remove all membrane and chop roughly. Peel the tangerines or celementines, segment, and add to bowl with naval orange pieces. Chop figs in very small pieces and slice bananas. Add to the rest of the fruit. Squeeze the juice from the remaining naval orange over the fruit, and toss. Stir in raisins, walnuts and wine or juice. Serve cold or at room temperature. This dish looks best when served immediately, but tastes wonderful the following day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks so yummy. I did read your charoset recipe. My family LOVES charoset. I never make enough of it. This is a great idea. I definitely will make this soon....I won't wait until Passover. Thanks!!

~M said...

Last year, I provided smaller amounts of 5 or so different charosets and we had a tasting. Variations that I liked included using pomegranate juice for wine/grape juice, adding grated lemon rind, using all different nuts (pine, almond, walnut, pecans), and dates (binds beautifully and allows you to use way less sugar and sort of tastes like a larabar). Charoset always tastes better the next day!