KOSHER RECIPES FOR GLUTEN-FREE LIVING



Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Non-Gebrokts Passover Potato Pancakes with Dill


In yesterday's Potato Kneidlach post I mentioned that I would share with you another use for leftover batter from those fabulous potato dumplings. Here are the photos I promised. The kneidlach batter makes delicious and unusual gluten-free potato pancakes - They are not latkes, but rather are pancakes with a very chewy, somewhat cakey texture and a crispy exterior. If you enjoy the chewy sweet rice flour pancakes of some Southeast Asian cuisines, you will definitely enjoy these. I enjoyed these plain for breakfast two days in a row. They taste good alone, or try melting cheese over them, or serving them with ketchup or lemon-butter. They'd also be a good accompaniment to a meat dish or vegetable stew.

I've written all the ingredients out below- If you have already made the batter for the potato kneidlach, simply use that for the pancakes. The only other ingredient you need is the 2 additional tablespoons of oil for frying. However, if you are making this recipe for the pancakes alone, you will see that I have reduced the quantity of potato starch in this recipe (as compared to the potato kneidlach recipe) because I think that will improve the texture. Feel free to leave the dill and pepper out of the recipe for wonderful sweet gluten-free Passover breakfast pancakes that could be served with syrup, fruit or jam.

PASSOVER POTATO PANCAKES WITH DILL
[Non-Gebrokts / Parve / Gluten-Free]


2 medium russet potatoes, peeled
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 - 1/3 cup potato starch
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground white pepper
1 Tbsp fresh dill, minced
2 Tbsp vegetable oil for frying

Cut potatoes into large chunks and boil in water until soft. Drain and allow to cool. Once cool, mash with 2 Tbsp of oil, eggs, salt, pepper and dill. Stir in potato starch until thoroughly combined, and refrigerate the mixture for 1 hour.

Heat oil in a heavy non-stick pan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Place 1/4 cup of batter at a time into the hot oil, using the back of a spatula to press flat until each pancake is no more than 1/4 to 1/3" thick. Cook until golden-brown on each side (2-3 minutes per side), flipping once. Place on a plate lined with paper towel to absorb excess oil. Serve while hot.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

yum! another one for the files :D

Jason said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

My super picky, won't eat eggs, gluten free, casein free son ate three of these and asked for more. Thank you for this recipe that he can and, more importantly, will eat!

Amanda on Maui said...

How many pancakes does this make?

ByTheBay said...

Amanda - It's been so long since I made it that I don't recall. I am making the potato dill kneidlach that this recipe is based off of and I would bet that this would make 4-6 pancakes (not as big as breakfast pancakes, but thicker). I can't promise you, though... so if in doubt, double it! Gut yuntif

Amanda on Maui said...

Thank you BTB, I'm going to stick with the basic recipe since there turned out to only be 3 of us for brunch today. I'll post to my blog, http://gfmaui.blogspot.com, about these and the rest of my brunch.